Wednesday 25 June 2014

No5: My Life In Boxes

A fortnight ago I was packing up my university room ready to come home... and I've only just finished unpacking. Don't get me wrong here - I've not been packing and unpacking continuously for the past 2 weeks, but I noticed how much junk I've been hoarding not only in my uni room but also at home.
Bye uni room, it's been a great year!
Firstly, when packing up I uncovered a whole draw full to the top of H&M catalogues! Now, I love H&M but I really don't need to know what was in their 2013 Autumn/Winter line, do I?! I don't even know why I kept them all though to be honest it was probably out of sheer laziness. Shoving something in a drawer takes much less brain power than deciding if you need it, or where to put it if you don't.

What has also surprised me during the whole packing/moving exercise is my ability to fit a whole room full of stuff into my bedroom at home, despite it already looking full (and without being able to throw anything away). I had everything I needed at uni to be able to live comfortably - so in theory should be able to get rid of everything else in my room I left behind. This makes perfect sense, I know it does, but there is still some niggling part in my brain telling me that I MUST keep that ugly orange pencil pot I won 6 years ago - I mean I know I haven't needed it yet but I may at some point in the future, right?
Back to the mad house until September!
My problem is that my entire room is full of stuff like that pencil pot - things that I really don't need, and have no sentimental value or any legitimate reason to keep them yet I am seemingly unable to throw anything away! I am slowly sorting through things and finding new homes for some of my junk, but I seem to be overly attached to a lot of it!

Oh, and if anyone has any uses for an ugly orange pencil pot, let me know! ;)

Claire xx

1 comment: